1 unit of alcohol =
- 125ml glass of wine
- 275ml can of 3.8% beer
- half pint beer – less if export, lager or strong cider
- 55ml sherry
- 35ml (single pub measure) spirit.
INSECT BITES & STINGS
Most need no treatment. An antihistamine lotion or tablets can be purchased without a prescription from the local pharmacy and will normally relieve most symptoms.
BURNS & SCALDS
Apply large quantities of cold water or ice as soon as possible, do not burst any blisters that may appear, keep the skin clean. Consult the surgery if the skin is broken and the burn appears to be more than superficial. For severe burns go directly to an A&E department at Taunton or Yeovil.
A fever usually develops as a result of an infection. Most patients will not usually require to be treated with antibiotics. It is important to bring the temperature down in the following way:
- Give Paracetamol at the highest recommended dose every 4 hours.
- Avoid over dressing and warm covers.
- Give plenty of cool water drinks.
- Take a cool bath or shower or sponge young children down with cool water.
- Fresh air will not hurt, open the windows!
Occasionally very young children may suffer a convulsion with a fever. It is very important to lower the temperature in the above ways, it should not last more than 5 minutes, lie the child on their side and stay with them while it lasts. Contact the surgery as soon as possible.
DO NOT GIVE ASPIRIN TO CHILDREN UNDER 12 YEARS OLD